Friday, February 18, 2011

Just an Update


Here’s an update on what we’ve been up to since returning from India.

New Coat/Date Night
Last week I went shopping with Stella and Amanda at Mecca Mall.  There is one store in the mall that I always pause at and look at the beautiful coats.  This time when I passed the store they had a 70% off sign in their window, so I went in and promptly fell in love with one coat.  I called Darren, just to make sure he was ok with me spending more than we had anticipated, and that is how I ended up with my new coat.  Now that I had this fun coat, I really wanted an occasion to wear it.  So, I decided that Darren needed to take me out on a date – our first real date since being here in Jordan.  Darren had gone out for a run, and when he got back I let him know that he was taking me out for dinner.  We got dressed up all fancy and went out for Italian food, which we have been missing here.  The restaurant was very nice and the food was very similar to Olive garden.  We ate so much that we almost didn’t have room for dessert.  We ended up getting a frappuccino from Starbucks and sharing it as we made our way back home.  It was a wonderful evening and I felt pretty in my new coat.

~Amber Henke


Kids Say the Darndest Things
The best part of working for the YMWA, is dealing with the kids, and sometimes they just crack me up.  Last week, for instance, they were arguing about what type of food each other were: one was kofta (a meat dish), one was koosa (a squash), and one of the teachers was tufah (an apple).  WWE wrestling is also big in Jordan, so the kids are constantly pretending to be wrestlers: John Cena, the Undertaker, you name it.  It’s so funny; I love it!

Running Progress
I just finished up running for the week with an 18 mile run earlier today.  Whew!  Only seven weeks left until the Dead Sea Marathon.  If you would like to follow my progress just click on this link http://yearoftheh.blogspot.com/p/marathon.html.  Unfortunately, Amber developed a pretty bad case of shin splints awhile back, so she hasn’t been able to continue running.  She still hopes to do the 10K with some kids that will be entered by the school. 

~Darren Henke

No comments:

Post a Comment